Here is some holiday treat for our FW users. A new version is now available for download in the Android Market. This update brings a bunch of new customization options and bug fixes. Here's what's new:
- New: widget style option. Now you can choose from two styles to your own taste. The original style is dubbed as "classic", and a new digital clock style is introduced, where the weather icon is placed below the clock. You can find a screenshot of the new widget style below. Just go to the settings screen to pick the one you like better.
- New: long date format option. With this option, you will see full week and month names instead of abbreviated names. The screenshot below also shows the date in long format.
- New: show week number option. If you enable this option, the current week number will be displayed after the date.
- New: temperature format option. This option affects the way temperatures are displayed in the weather forecast screen. You can choose from H/L or L/H. The default format is now set to H/L.
- New: use metric option. Enable this option to use SI unit (e.g., kph) instead of US unit (e.g., mph).
- Updated Danish and Dutch translations. Thanks Gert Nielsen and Jan-Willem van Velzen for helping with the localization.
- Tweaked the widget layout so that it is slightly bigger in the classic style.
- Tweaked the layout of the forecast screen.
- Fixed weather icons for the fog condition.
- Fixed some FC and other bugs.
That's it for now. Please feel free to post any suggestions or bug reports in the comments.
Just another piece of news to share with our FW fans:
Today, FW is featured on Gizmodo's App-Deals-Of-The-Day list: http://gizmodo.com/5675728/app-deals-of-the-day (<- a good place to find other great apps).
Seeing us being listed along with other famous apps on a site like Gizmodo is a great encouragement for us, especially considering we just released the new FW for only 3 days! We couldn't achieve this without all our fans' support! We'll definitely keep up with our work, and try our best to fulfill users' requests. We already have a few "treats" ready for you in the coming update, so again, stay tuned ... and oh, don't hesitate to share this news with your fellow android-loving friends~
An email from AppBrain has just made its way to our inbox, indicating that FW has hit their hottest apps list. We'd like to share this great news with all of our users. The original email follows.
Congratulations! Your Android app 'Fancy Widget' is now one of the top 10 hottest apps on AppBrain (http://www.appbrain.com/), the website where people find, install and share Android apps.
Your app has reached this spot because many Android users are visiting and installing your app from the dedicated page about it: http://www.appbrain.com/app/fancy-widget/com.anddoes.fancywidget
Feel free to link to that page to point your users to a convenient place where they can install the app from the web and share it further.
the AppBrain team
Please feel free to share/tweeet this great news with your friends! Fancy Widget could only get better with all your support!
After months of hard work, we are now pleased to announce the return of Fancy Widget! This is the second iteration of our widget. In case you don't know, Fancy Widget (FW) is an Android widget application that shows the current date, time, and weather information on your home screen. Here are some of the main features:
- Beautiful digital clock with customizable date and time format
- Weather with nice looking icons
- Celsius and fahrenheit temperature
- Geolocation for weather forecasts, or search city by name or zipcode
- Configurable refresh intervals
- Automatic sunset/sunrise time calculation
- Tap on the widget to launch the application of your choice
- Landscape mode support
- Multiple screen size support (e.g., QVGA, HVGA, WVGA)
- Multiple language support
The new FW (v2) features our own design of a digital clock and a set of weather icons, but the difference does not stop there. Actually, we have re-written a large portion of the original code, so the new version should be more stable and adapt better to different devices. If you have used the old FW before, you may notice that the new version has more features too. To get the new FW, just launch the Android Market and search for "Fancy Widget".
On a side note, some of you may still like the old FW and are hesitant about updating to the new version, fearing that you will lose the old version. Well, don't be. The new version of FW uses a different package name, and therefore it is a new app in the market. You can actually install and run the new version alongside the old one, so you get the chance to decide which one you like better. We strongly suggest that you try out the new version and hope you'll like it.